Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Just got back. Wheew

Eventful day. Chinese orals at 10.30 but I got to school at 8.00 I'd decided to mug Bio, but in case you didn't know, the windy benches are a great place to take a nap. 1 hour flew away just like that o.0 Then Daniel, Russel and Bryan turned up and I just got caught up in the "action" haha. Can't say I regret it, I DID manage to set a highscore in Daniel's game, which he apparently hasn't beat yet.

Chang Sun passed by and amazingly, he said something that actually made me happy for once, though I shan't post it here due to audience sensitivity XD

The oral itself was like taking a dump. You push and push, then everything comes out in one go. And that's it; over just like that.

I decided to stay back and get some mugging done, so that's what I did. Then I joined weifeng and kexin, who happened to be in school too. That was at 11.10 (estimated). Nearly 8 hours later, I stepped out of school, perhaps staggering a little as my wobbly legs struggled to bear my weight, a dull ache throbbing at the front of my head. Awhile later, that ache disappeared, to be replaced by numbness. Nothing but numbness. As I walked that short distance towards Marymount station, the Lytic Cycle of T4 Bacteriophage rose to the forefront of my mind. I realized that I'd been mumbling under my breath: Attachment, Penetration, Replication,  Maturation, Release. And the details came to me, just as I'd painstakingly written down: Attachment sites on the tail fibres attach to complementary receptors on the bacterial surface (viral specificity). The virus then releases lysozymes which digest the bacteria's cell wall. Molecules that exit the bacteria through the cell wall trigger a change in the shape of the base plate of the bacteriophage, which then initiates the spring-like contraction of the tail sheath, thrusting a hollow tube through the cell wall and cell membrane. The dsDNA is then enters the cytoplasm of the bacteria through the hollow tube. Dots...

Well, seems like what they say about writing things down is the truth. It really helps in memorizing it. Sadly, its painstakingly slow, and I don't have the luxury of doing that anymore. There's just not enough time dammit. It's my fault, so I swear I'll do better next time, I really do.

The past 2 days of mugging have been surprisingly fun. Maybe its the people, or maybe its the act of focusing itself, idk. But I can honestly say that mugging in school today was the right decision. I met another one of Jeremy's friends: Tessa, and I felt once again the kind of warmth they have. I know I sound like some deprived kid, but that's what I really felt. The crazy period when Mao came over was particularly entertaining. Funn~

Now that I've gotten my first taste of "hardcore" mugging, I'm not particularly averse to it, actually. I should do this more often, like, so that I won't have to do this so much. Btw, the previous sentence makes perfect sense, ok?

Progress today? Covered Mitosis & Meiosis, halfway through Viruses, got to know 1 new person, and talked to some people I've not really talked to before. Not bad =)

Going to mug with Sing Yee tomorrow. Hope it turns out well!

ToTD: Mugging in school's quite fun, s'long as you're able to keep on track and stay focused, which, with the right motivation, I'm perfectly capable of doing. The only downside? The canteen stalls close around 5 and then you have to go to 7-11 for sustenance. Its a rip-off... 7-11, its a store and more! My wallet aches after Monday's little excursion, so yeah
They stave off the darkness, these little staves of light, but outside these pools of light the darkness lurks, the darkness remains, the darkness waits. For me to walk away, or for the light to flicker and die. Cause they won't last forever. And all I can do is clutch them to myself and hope. Hope. Cause the darkness, cool and inviting, all engulfing, is oh so lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment