- Eat healthier, exercise more, get fitter - Pretty much a given thanks to NS (I hope) but still a worthwhile start to the list
- Be less selfish - What I do, I do out of my own free will (to the greatest possible extent, anyway). Though I'm entitled to be a little cynical about things, I shall be less concerned about whether those efforts are reciprocated or even appreciated/registered or not.
- Worry less, enjoy more - Pretty self-explanatory. I often think that I "think too much" (which may itself be a meta-problem haha) about loads of things; things which; more often than not are out of my control. Incessant worrying, occasional "emo-ing" which I guess I could do without.
- To make more of my time and get more out of life - Pretty vague; I know what I'm getting at without quite being able to put it into words.
- To act more maturely and respond less reactively (emotions-wise; don't know how else to describe it) to situations - I feel I have to have more self-control, basically. I shock myself sometimes at how acerbic I can be; at the accusatory tones I can inject into my voice at times, knowing full well how hurtful it can be. Social interactions/relationships aren't - or shouldn't be at least - about "winning" or anything like that, and it doesn't get anyone anywhere; besides leaving a really bitter aftertaste. And when I observe such things going on (that don't involve me) I've got to be able to do better than just keep quiet; or forcing my way in and making things that much worse.
- To step up more, and not shirk responsibility - Ironic considering what I was trying to do in J1; and I'm not particularly proud of what I did wrt to that in 2011 upon some critical reflection, something I really have to work on; both this year and the years to come.
- Confidence - I've been improving, methinks, but still lots of room for improvement. Can't really blame others for not valuing me when I don't value myself much at all.
- To be strong - One of the most important I feel. It's something I always hope for/expect from myself and this year is no different; except maybe requiring a little more on the physical front to cope with NS.
- And lastly, to be myself; always. No matter the changes/improvements/whatever I'd like to see in myself, and my numerous imperfections (thus necessitating this list of resolutions!) to never stray from who I am, what I believe in, and stand for. To not compromise "myself" though the idea of me-ness still remains a little vague at this point of time.
I remain optimistic of the year to come, yet have made the conscious effort to temper those expectations with a healthy dose of realism.
"Be like the headland against which the waves break and break: it stands firm, until presently the watery tumult around it subsides once more to rest. 'How unlucky I am, that this should have happened to me!' By no means; say, rather, 'How lucky I am that this has left me with no bitterness; unshaken by the present, and undismayed by the future."
-Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
An apt approach to the future I think; to keep everything in perspective, and to face life's challenges stoutly and bravely.
Shan't spoil it with further over-analysis, and with that, I end my resolutions haha.
Happy New Year, guys! Let's make it an awesome one, wherever we may be, whatever we may be doing and (shall I say?) whoever we may/may not be with :)
No comments:
Post a Comment