It's a pity. I'd have liked to know what expression you had then, standing beside me. And after I'd taken so long to summon the courage to do so in the first place, too! A case of mission accomplished but failure nonetheless >.<
Well, had my coaching stuff on at Safra yesterday, pretty cool job, as I've said before. No dress code as well! The only one was to "not wear anything with Raffles on it"; not too strange considering my employer doesn't want people to think she's got students working for her hahah. Had the rather interesting experience of instructing this girl who I wasn't supposed to touch (as in no physical contact) at all while coaching her for some religious reasons I suppose. Just felt a little odd to have to specially take note of that while trying to demonstrate the various steps.
Went down to SGH the other day, accompanying my grandma on a visit. Just wanted to put down that I was extremely touched by the solidarity displayed, not only on a single occasion, mind you, but over days, weeks and months. And her saying that she didn't care how tough it was on her, as long as she let him know that he wasn't alone, people cared for him, and he could get to hear other people's voices, and talk to them.
^ a little too much personal stuff already, but it's something I really don't want to forget, so I'm just writing about it here.
Went for the final round of house visits as well, that same day. I was with the IC of organizing the project this time, but it was (apparently) her first time doing house visits so I found myself taking the lead. Really made me realize the benefits of keeping quiet and paying attention during the previous few sessions, such that I had little difficulty conducting the interviews in a pretty sensitive manner, I'd like to think, while being pretty personable at the same time as well! I guess what really inspired me was the observation that despite the many problems these people face in their lives; they still have dreams, and things they prioritize and will not compromise on. For eg, I talked to this lady who had 2 kids, one autistic boy and his older sister, and I could really sense how hard she was trying in order to raise her child to be able to function in society, one step at a time. And how she was determined to let the older sister have a normal childhood instead of succumbing to the temptation of getting her to take care of her brother while she looks for work.
I have faith in life now, that life will conspire to find a way so long as you're determined enough, and resilient enough. A good frame of mind to begin the year with.
No comments:
Post a Comment