Oh well. Friday was a pretty good day, despite it being the 13th and all. Sent off my little endeavour, so I'm done with it. Can't help wanting to know how well it was received (or whether it even reached!) though :S
Had to wake up early for work at Safra in the morning, so I was understandably quite tired. Hitched a ride with my dad, and we dropped by our new house in the morning. Seems like we won't be moving in before CNY afterall; not that I wasn't expecting it. Also paid a visit to my cousins who are literally living down the road (we're gonna be neighbours!) who're way more efficient and moved in earlier this month. Then onto work haha.
First 2 sessions (9.30-12; 3.30-5.30) were corporate bookings, the idea is that some companies; in this case the Police and some construction company want to do something new for a corporate function, so pay through the nose for a booking to get to shoot air rifles at some targets. Felt more like customer service than anything else; besides watching out for safety violations; and even then, not interfering unless it was too serious, and doing so in a discreet manner, all I did was count out pellets and distribute cards, dispensing the occasional tip along the way. Not very challenging, nor exciting, to be honest. Though it was pretty amusing to see all of them get so excited over everything; their scores, groupings, size of the hole etc, especially after doing well shooting on a pistol card with a rifle resting on sandbags on the countertop. Some interesting ideas too! Such as inflating balloons, attaching them to targets for them to aim at.
Met Amos for lunch and bowling during the break between the 1st and 2nd sessions, which was a really cool way to burn the time; don't know what I'd have found myself up to otherwise. I had dinner at that same old laksa place; and found myself reminiscing over a bowl of Chng Tng (冷的); my usual dessert, which complements the laksa perfectly. Times spent, memories made, experiences......experienced. Went back to Safra, took a nap in the coaching office, was walked in on by some of my juniors (a little awkward) and got ready for the 3rd and last session.
Last session (7.30-9.30) was the one I relished. Got the opportunity to induct a newcomer into the Junior Shooting Programme there, taught him some basics, and basically supervised the training. Most of them are quite obedient; and train seriously, and then there was this one P4 boy who kept complaining about the weight of the gun, shooting anyhow etc. I had some trouble with him cause I'm way too nice to be able to handle problem kids like him (yeah really!) so it was not really gratifying but horribly funny to see how my boss (who's the main coach) dealt with him; chastising him for it being too heavy cause he wasn't doing it properly and so on haha. I'll be in charge next week, though, when she and my coach (her husband) fly back to China for CNY, which I'm quite excited about!
So I ended up working for >6hrs; which kinda made me realize what a tiring job coaching is! HAHA. Can now empathize with how exhausted my coaches must have felt back then, when they had to coach in the morning details, and had to stay focused and alert all the way till 9.30 when the last detail ends. I think it could be a pretty rewarding job, though, and am pretty envious of them; it's good to be able to do something you like, and make a living off of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment