Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Haven't been arsed to write for a long time; but I kinda realised that after enlisting, I won't be able to write as much, so I'd better seize the opportunity while it's there. I won't bother to be chronologically precise since that's way too troublesome.

So I went down to SGH; or more accurately, the National Heart Centre there pretty recently to look for my uncle (he's a cardiologist) at my father's insistence for a quick checkup as a precaution before enlisting. Had an echo-cardiogram done. Basically the idea is to use ultrasound to image the heart, so it was really amazing as I could see my heart beating in realtime. It was quite cool to see its actual structure; the bicuspid mitral valve, the tricuspid aortic valve, the atria, ventricles, septum etc versus having seen them in those notes we had to mug for the Biomed symposium. The best part was being able to hear the continuous pounding that sounded kinda wishy-washy-ish while watching the contractions and relaxations and think "Wow, that's my heart there" haha. The thought that it's working (and will be working) independently, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, idk how many weeks a year, etc to keep me alive is quite inspiring in a way. I sometimes wonder whether I have the strength to go on living; but the beat of my heart gives me no doubt about that. Little abnormality that my uncle noticed though was that my coronary arteries seem to be a little dilated (around 1mm more than average for Singaporeans?); apparently they shouldn't be so well-defined on an echo-cardiogram. A little worrying, but I don't think I'll be doing anything to change my PES at this stage.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CNY, supposed to be a time for joyous reunion (and it was) yet I'm starting to realize that the overwhelming logistics: packaging of ang paos, gifts for the relatives we visit, even making a "schedule" of sorts.... could outweigh the celebratory mood. Had a much more toned down CNY this year; we're pretty much done with all the visiting after the second day (and the "harvest" has been far less bountiful, not that it matters much); but it was no less enjoyable. Quality time with family is nothing to be scoffed at. A slight undertone of sadness though; unavoidable what with things the way they are.

We went to take a look at the new house once more. I kinda like how my room's turning out; though I admittedly won't be spending much time there for at least the next couple of months. We'll have to repaint the house anyway, since alot of hacking of the walls had to be done for the electrical rewiring, so I'm currently toying with some possible colour schemes in my head. Don't really feel like sticking to boring old off-white/beige this time round. Any suggestions? xP

So much to do before enlisting...I really should start packing seriously; though I've made some headway into that by binding my JC Bio notes for easier storage (and to hopefully deter hopeful homeless spiders!). It's such a headache and a little heartaching as well to decide what to throw away and what to bring over. My mum's already discarded my primary school and kindergarten stuff  ><  Lost memories! Stuff that I'll probably never look through, true, but it still hurts nonetheless. (The ironic bit is that she's still keeping her secondary school/uni stuff, which is ancient) I've also got to get around to scanning those documents for NUS...anyone has a scanner available? :/ I should probably start normalizing my sleep cycle as well, but I've got a few early morning games to catch this week, and I need to build up tolerance. Hope I'm not as disappointed as Sunday's one!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's strange. You'd think that with the number of days left till I get my freedom severely curtailed in such short supply; I'd want to spend them in the most meaningful manner. Yet I find myself doing the reverse. And I understand, at least a little. I don't want to commit to anything, or enjoy myself too much before going in, lest I miss these days too much. I have heard that we'll be too tired to think about anything though.

No comments:

Post a Comment