Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lost in Transit

4am and I find myself awake; once more.

It's quiet; save for the occasional giggle emitted by my little sis, as she watches some drama on the iPad (she uses earphones, thankfully) And it's kinda funny, these strange thoughts I find passing through my head at this late - or shall I say early - hour, when the filters of wakefulness are replaced by something else entirely. More intense; and less logical. Impulses seize me, and I'm beginning to understand the mentality behind the drunken calls made in the middle of the night so typical to poorly scripted shows. Which reminds me of an interesting yet simultaneously infuriating experimental feature that Google Labs made available so long ago. The premise is that you aren't in the right frame of mind on Friday nights, which may result in some emails being sent without due consideration. The solution? Making you do a number of simple mathematical operations to show that your brain is working fine, thank you very much; before the email can be sent out. Not sure how effective it is, though, except for eliciting the occasional sigh when sending out some overdue work, like during PW last year xP now I pretty much treat it as an unexpected surprise; a way to relieve the boredom.

We're going down to Safra later today, to pay a visit to Coach, and hold a farewell of sorts for Shaofei I guess, who's going back to China tomorrow. Can't help but feel a little sad. There'll be friends flying off; over the next few months, and even more further down the road. And as for those who don't, who knows when we'll next meet again; excepting the results collection, of course. It's not just those acquaintances, or "friends of a friend" who you lose, but people whose company you genuinely enjoy and really get along with; as you lose opportunities to meet up out of the school context.

That's what everyone was trying to do during Grad Night I guess; to preserve a memory of having once crossed paths, and yet I find myself cynically noticing, as I scan through the many albums on Facebook, that in each series of photos, which typically comprise of the camera owner standing next to a friend; that the expression, posture, pose; all pretty much remain unchanged between one pic and the next; is there any meaning to it? Is it all just a formality?

I don't doubt that in the future, I'll look at the very same images with fond memories, but now they're just another reminder of what stands to be lost in this transitory phase.

At the end of the entire event, we had people like Hanis and idk who else singing exuberantly on the stage while others jumped around in what Mao termed as the "Mosh Pit", celebrating graduation; the end of As etc, and yet those were the thoughts going through my head. While others can look ahead and celebrate life so energetically, I guess I'm too tired and jaded to do the same.

The double-headed eagle symbolizes drawing upon our past strength to pave the way for a glorious future. I, however; find myself sorely in need of that additional head, as I find myself dwelling in the past.

Perhaps some random-mutation-inducing radiation would do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment