Saturday, July 2, 2011

Just wiped the dust off my laptop's screen, and the fingerprints left on it when it was so unceremoniously prodded so long ago.

Shan't go on about the CTs, suffice to say I know what I have to do, and I won't shy away from doing it. Yes.

Other than that, the post-CT programme was laughably atypical. Pretty much zombified after staying up to cram chem but no choice, we had 2 essays for that increasingly ridiculous NEFMQ, supposedly due before 5pm that day. Heh so after a good lunch at Bakerzin (with a 1 for 1 offer courtesy of Tyf), before which we had put some ideas down on paper - YES, we were that dedicated - we camped at Starbucks for the better part of 3 hours.

While it does seem a little no life, which the many RJ people (including a group who'd withdrawn from the competition!) who just happened to pass by didn't hesitate to remind us about, I found it pretty fun myself. Working with a bunch of friends on something that well, wasn't schoolwork, discussing how an idiot like Anthony who didn't have any savings shouldn't even dream of taking a car loan in the first place, lest he be saddled with debt for the rest of his natural life (I'm over-exaggerating a little), comparing the relative benefits between a carbon trading scheme and taxation on reducing carbon emissions, and not to mention Amos' steady descent into insanity (hmm, is that the right word? Deliriousness, perhaps) as he put down some pretty incredible stuff, such as how "a carbon credit scheme not only cripples Adam Smith's Invisible Hand but totally decapitates it as well!"

I just can't say how - hmm, not fun exactly, but I don't have a better word - fun it was, sitting there between Jack and Amos, with Yifan to one side composing a song which he professed to contain a mix-up of a couple of songs' melodies. Those last 20 mins, when my laptop had only 21 mins of battery left in it as we strove to chop the essays down to size (500 words is wholly insufficient to get any arguments going), the merciless deconstruction of sentences lovingly crafted, the eventual jubilation at a task completed, panic as the last few minutes neared and my comp died, while the wireless steadfastly refused to work on Amos', and my facepalm-inducing realization that I had brought my charger along in my bag. The eventual scramble till we finally got them submitted, but not till 7 mins past 5. And a few hours later, the WTF moment when the organizers sent out an email stating that the deadline was at 1159.

Haha so thanks guys, the discussions were fun, I've never hung out at Starbucks before, so it's an experience I guess, and most thanks go out to Tyf who wasn't part of our group but should be pretty much an honorary member for help rendered, most significantly in the final reduction to meet the word count. Well...it was either that or going to pimp with the girls, so perhaps he merely chose the lesser evil xP

Now here's hoping something comes out of it, though that doesn't really matter anymore; or to be more precise, didn't really matter since the beginning.

Heh some completely random encounter on the way back after that got me thinking, but that's all I'll say on that.

The toilets at Ion are insanely extravagant. Hope I don't sound like the country bumpkin newly arrived to the city, with the dirt of the road still resting on my shoes, but I swear it's the truth. Like seriously, it's the first shopping centre I've ever seen which has those small tv screens over every freaking urinal, and each sink has its own hand-drying/towel dispensing module parked discretely above it behind the mirror. What the SHIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment