Thursday, July 14, 2011

The last desperate clutch at sanity

Gradually, my favorite time of the day's come to be those few minutes as I walk home from the MRT.
Not because I'm reaching home, where those creature comforts reside, along with that creature I call my sister...she's just so unpredictable...and those mood swings...sometimes she's the most angelic little sister one could ever wish for and then there are those times when she's just a complete b!tch, especially when she's PMSing me...

But rather because it's the only time I get to indulge in my senses; which are just so muted throughout the monotony of school. Pull out those earphones, really pay attention to the sounds of the cars passing, those insects that just create this absolute racket at night. Appreciate the silhouette of the trees against the evening sky, the play on the streetlights on the leaves, the very slight tinge of blue that the evening brings to everything. I don't really smell much, since I take special care in making my detour to avoid most of those smokers, but the air's pretty fresh as well, despite the decent traffic volume. So I take my time to make my way home, stopping every now and then to take in the surroundings, enjoying the quiet time with myself (being in the library doesn't count!)

I'll always lament the fact that I couldn't be arsed to learn how to use those high-end cameras properly, since I always find myself witness to beautiful scenes of the moment, which I simply know that I won't be able to capture adequately with my iPhone's puny camera. If the sight I behold can't be captured exactly as I envision it, in just the right amount of detail with the perfect amount of blurring, then what's the point, right? It'd just be an insult to it. I try to commit them to memory, yet my brain isn't the best receptacle for such stuff. I remember finding today's moon especially appealing; a low-lying full moon, edges distinct, "craters" visible, (though Sing Yee may say otherwise) framed by those short shop-houses across the road. Haha but of course my description is wholly insufficient, and my previous attempts to get some pictures using our camera just produced this homogenous white speck in the sky, so that's a pity..

There's no time anymore, and I'm not talking about time left till the A's. With only 2 freaking free periods each week, and practically everyone running off to do their own stuff (not that I don't understand their reasons though) after school, there's been not much time for quality interaction with classmates & friends. Pretty much the only human interaction I get is the really casual stuff in class, with the occasional HTHT with the same few people. We've pretty much got to the point where much has already been said, and things start to become repetitive. There's too little time to even try to get to know those I don't know that well a little better, since everything seems pretty much cast in stone by now, and it doesn't seem worth investing the effort required to raise that chisel to chip away at the rock to make those most inconsequential of changes that could vanish the very next day, like markings in the sand with the coming of the wind, transient as they are. The general consensus seems to be that we've not made much headway throughout the course of the previous year, and with only these last desperate few months to go, why start overtly bothering now?

That reasoning's perfectly sound, though, and who am I to argue?

Frozen durian is totally awesome. Go try it out, since it seems to be in season now. Impending stomachache from over consumption ><

No comments:

Post a Comment