All I do over the weekend is sleep, apparently. If I wanted to be superfluous about it, I'd probably describe it as clocking hours into the sleep bank in preparation for the coming week.
My brother's involved in this exchange program with a school in Taiwan so we have this student staying with us for the next week or so. He's pretty interesting, so not too bad. The slightly amusing thing is that he gets car-sick really easily, so we've been limiting the places we've brought him to to those which are nearby.
I'd never been to Woodlands Waterfront before; only known vaguely that the up-there's had been putting some ka-ching into redeveloping it. It's turned out pretty good, imo. Nice and cooling, what with the large body of water nearby, and there's an excellent view of Malaysia across the straits. It's pretty well-lit, surprisingly xD
There's this pier extending out, along which we saw quite a number of people who'd set up their fishing poles for some night-fishing (which has incidentally always been one of my dreams) and even this old man who had made this net for catching crabs from up on the pier. Haha, it basically consisted of a stiff-looking mesh net attached to around 3 bamboo poles tied to each other end-to-end. He had it poised just above the water while staring intently into the dark depths, with some cool-looking blinkers (like those you'd see on racehorses) attached to his specs to block out the ambient light, watching for the movements indicative of crabs rising up to the surface, I have no idea what for. He'd then scoop it up with that improvised net. Seems a little far-fetched, right? But he seemed pretty experienced at it, and when we got back, having walked to the end of the pier, we did see this little crab swimming not-so-merrily in his little blue bucket, so his method works, I guess.
Yup, I'd definitely want to go back some other time, talk a walk along the promenade with a friend or two. It's not the beach, there's no sand, and it's definitely not ECP, but it still seems like a pretty awesome place to hangout, have some recreation, and perhaps idly contemplate how long it might take to swim across to M'sia. (Hey why not, if Mas Selemat could make it xP)
No comments:
Post a Comment