Sunday, February 27, 2011

Biomed stuff ended yesterday with the Symposium, after which I came back, showered, and slept for 13 hours straight, from 7 to 8 >_< Guess I shouldn't have stayed back in school so late just to get in some last min mugging (and skipping training no less!)

The symposium itself was pretty underwhelming tbh. After the many training sessions we had by our seniors, and all the effort put it, what we had to do in the end didn't make the effort seem all that worthwhile. The MCQ questions we got were more trivia-ish, and thus a matter of guessing, and the presentation question we got (on hypertension) wasn't that tough to handle as well. And while the exhibitions were part of the symposium programme, the time allocated to viewing them overlapped with the time we had to prepare for our presentation, so I didn't get to see them at all... Imo the greatest takeaways I got were more from the trainings in the run-up to it, which were really awesome and interesting; and the work with my group members, who were cool, funny and retarded (in a good way!). The silver medal I got out of it was just an additional bonus : P

The awards ceremony was hilarious. While I appreciate the effort spent on honouring everyone's achievements, does that really justify spending around 2 hours calling people up on stage 1 by 1 to present them with their prizes? Not to mention the fact that prize-winners weren't informed beforehand, and that prizes were given bottom-up so to speak, so there was a lot of heart-pounding excitement. And the conflict between hoping that one's name is called - no matter the award - and hoping that you're not called for a lower award and instead a higher one. Barely hidden anticipation. Coupled with the fear that my name wouldn't be called. Encouragement by teammates who kept insisting that I'd done well. And finally relief after finally being called. Lingering thoughts on what'd have happened if I'd just done that little bit better. Haha, I'm quite a weak-minded person afterall.

So yup, it's over, now time to focus a little bit more on my ailing studies I suppose (though I can't say the symposium detracted from them that much!) and I've got a shoot later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment