"Don't do today what you can afford to leave till tomorrow"
That is, of course assuming that we have a tomorrow to look forward to; of course. There's never a guarantee that we'll wake up healthy afterall. Heh but I find myself cynical with regards to that overly-cliched "live each day like it's your last".
Quick mental exercise: Come up with a list of just 10 things you'd do if you somehow knew that you weren't going to be around tomorrow.
Done? Somehow I kinda doubt that anything near approximating any kind of work at all would even begin to feature on that list. Now try increasing that to 50...how bout 100? 1000? Nothing, right? So, think about what'd happen to society if everyone started living that way; utterly disastrous. XD I think that the functioning of society is predicated upon the belief in the concept of a "tomorrow" and that society's greatest success has in fact been able to "guarantee" a tomorrow with a certain degree of certainty. Removes uncertainty; allows us to expand our event horizon and all that. So we have people slogging their guts out; spinning incessantly; cogs working to keep the construct of society up and running, with "tomorrow" simultaneously the carrot dangling in their faces and the stick prodding their collective behinds. Beautiful, isn't it?
So, why do I do what I do? Or more precisely, why should I be doing what I'm supposed to be doing? Well, ideally, personal satisfaction and achievement should factor in somewhere; but well; maybe it's cause while there is a chance I may not be on this Earth the next time the Sun makes its rounds (scientifically inaccurate, I know), it is quite probable (hopefully!) that I will be, so I'd best be working to make it a comfortable one; now shouldn't I?
No comments:
Post a Comment