So sleepy. And now; with the prelims practically over (with only the all so crucial chem MCQ left); now begins the pointlessly difficult task of normalizing my messed up sleeping schedule.
Time after Bio today was pretty unexpectedly spent :D Had some one to one time with an old friend; stoned around in the canteen for awhile; went out for lunch then went home. Pretty cool lah; quite an interesting, albeit cynical view on things. Not too many people I can simply sit around and casually talk with; without things getting stale; with no need for any pretense or crap like that. Very refreshing.
Quite random; but I'm just thinking that extremism is so much more provocative; so much more interesting than any old moderate stance to an issue. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that that's a kind of criticism or key difference that Westerners notice between Singaporeans and them. There's supposedly this tendency towards a balanced view; one that covers all bases (which I don't doubt has something to do with our culture; evidenced pretty much in GP essay criteria I guess) which makes us sound all the same?
Haha, I can't deny the allure of extremist views; no matter how messed up they are. Case in point; though I was horrified by one of my ex-classmate's opinions that society shouldn't support the disabled; as they constitute a drain on its resources; which he expressed in all seriousness, there was, to me, at least, a certain perverse attractiveness to it as something that bucked social norms; and the coldly dispassionate way in which he put his point forth. It's those who put forth these extreme views which garner the most response, it seems. Either by those horrified by them or those who've secretly harbored them themselves; yet never had the courage to give voice to them for fear of societal reprisal.
Even so, I can't say that I approve of extremity for the sake of being extreme. It's kind of like how I think when people say that "they're looking for mavericks"; they're actually mixing up causality and effect. They're actually looking for the traits and character that would make someone unafraid of breaking the status quo rather than the act itself. And now we have self-styled mavericks doing it for all the wrong reasons. Besides, maybe it's the conservative within me speaking; but somehow I really do believe that moderation does bucketloads more for stability than extremism does; don't you agree?
Maybe that's why I'm such a boring person :P
No comments:
Post a Comment