Space is a very important thing, methinks. The phrase "Too close for comfort" didn't spring fully-formed out of nowhere, now did it? There's a beauty to space, something that's more than aesthetically pleasing, something that's emotionally calming, perhaps. Time stretches, while at the same time, it's so limited, insufficient. And I find that in the face of this "Time", the will to reach out, to spend more than the most rudimentary of efforts to pull it off is much diminished. It's as if I'm shedding arms, legs, feet, and just continuing on this trajectory in this flow, alone, come what may. It's not a lonely feeling. It's quite surreal, actually. Kind of like floating, unimpeded through a thin mist of events.
I have some awesome juniors, I'm proud to say. They gave us an awesome farewell on Saturday, though it was a little unplanned, and the rain kind of dampened (get it? XD) our plans at ECP. (Kind of makes me wonder why it's so hard to get our class to do anything together, really. Is there really a need for meticulous planning and all before we can get something going? It's all a lack of willingness I guess...) I got dunked in the sea for the first time ever, and believe me, I did my best to resist it; but there's only so much one guy can do against three >.< Also swam in the sea a little, so that's something to strike off my list of "I have never". Some beach captain's ball after that, which involved lots of sand spraying everywhere, with the sucky thing being that even if sand gets into your eyes, there's just no way to wipe it off since your hands, your clothes, everything is covered with this gritty layer of sand that just sticks to you.
Something which I was quite touched by was that besides the usual notes and cards, they also got those model gun sets made out of wood and spent the effort to put them together for us. Quite a bit of effort put into it.
Well, it was fun, and I appreciated their company, but just a little food for thought. Just take it as something totally independent if you want to. I'm just wondering, and have been wondering for a long time now; at what point do things cross over from social to personal. When do you actually disembark from the social level of interactions, from simply mingling within the same social circle to a more personal level? I know that this question probably just amounts to grasping at thin air, a little futile; perhaps revealing of how unschooled I am at such interactions, if you are inclined to go into meta-analysis, however, I feel that it bears asking nonetheless. It's quite crucial, don't you think? To minimize vulnerabilities from misunderstandings and so on. Of course, I don't normally think about these kinds of stuff as I go about everyday life, meeting with others; it'd be pretty scary, not to mention practically two-faced if I did.
Or perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe there aren't any personal interactions at all. But that's a particularly horrific thought that doesn't bear thinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment