I don't believe in "justice". The idea that "right" will be rewarded, "wrong" punished, and the black-and-white world that it paints.
We were born, pristine at birth, to be tainted by this world, to do wrong. We can literally, do nothing that's completely, 100% right! I find it hard to believe, and find the idea ludicrous even, that there's some entity out there, armed with a "Yes/No" console, with the threshold set at some arbitrarily predetermined degree of "wrongness" so to speak. So, you cross the value? *Beep* rewarded. Fail to meet it? *Beep* punishment. And that's when you set aside their respective magnitudes as well.
That aside, I'm pretty sure that there is an insurmountable wealth of empirical evidence from our daily lives to show that "justice" does not always prevail. The exploitation of the weak by the strong continues, with vast profits being reaped, and countless selfless individuals die each day, unrecognized, unremembered. If "justice" did exist, why is this the case? Shouldn't its absolute, irresistible nature necessarily prevent such occurrences?
I humbly put forward that "justice" as we typically think of it, is an artifice of purely human origin. Nature, or the universe, in fact, doesn't care - and I use the word loosely - about what's "just" or not, it simply functions following those few basic laws. It is the innate need of us humans to prescribe value to things and objects, to facilitate evaluation and comparison, and in certain cases, conferring upon us a moral "highground" of sorts which gave rise to the concept in the first place. In this context, the usage of manmade apparatus to enforce this human-conceived concept may seem laughable, much like how children might use arbitrary punishments to enforce those arbitrary rules in their arbitrary little games.
Well, that got away from me for awhile. Still following? Good.
I guess what I'm getting at is that as we go about our lives, the preoccupation shouldn't be with trying to do the "right" thing out of a desire to attain rewards, or to shy away from doing wrong for fear of the repercussions. In the absence of any such consequences for one's actions, what then should be the guiding light for such actions? I know that I've arrived at an outcome that many would probably find cliched, but honestly - and let's all be honest here - how many of us can say that they've never been directed by either the carrot or the stick, or, to be more specific, let's say perceived carrot or stick? I'm guessing that number approaches 0.
How is this important? Well, what I've noticed is that so many of us, in the process of attempting to do the "right" thing in the course of daily life, have to put up with certain degrees of inconvenience, loss, and/or personal sacrifice. It's a pretty noble thing, no denying it. I just thought it'd be good to clarify what we're doing it for.
Hope it helps.
On more mundane matters, Badminton match support that occurred today was really exhilarating. It's not so often that you get to see your schoolmates compete, especially in a finals, and I could really feel the support that the spectators who turned up had for our players. It kinda made me wish that shooting was a more spectator-friendly sport, as I'd appreciate the chance for my peers to learn a little more about my sport, possibly get more interested in it, as I undeniably was as I saw the entrancing plays by the team.
Cheered so much that my voice has gone a little hoarse, and I actually managed to clap so much, so hard that towards the end, I could barely bring myself to clap cause of the pain on the back of my hands. I'm retarded that way =)
No comments:
Post a Comment