The interesting things one finds on the net xP
Focus on the "Sting Factor" column. I find it amusing how someone actually went to quantify the sensation of being stung by various bugs (not trying to be scientific here..) and actually came up with an index describing the exact sensation. I tried looking for the full article, but apparently that needs some paid subscription to some online journal library which I decidedly do not possess, so here's the wiki link instead: Schmidt Sting Pain Index
The scale goes from 0.0 to 4.0, with 0.0 being almost no pain at all, and 4.0+ being "Pure, intense, brilliant pain"; which does seem remarkably similar to that GPA system we had in RI, does it not?
Even more laudable is the way he goes about the business of getting stung by bugs like a true professional; going to painstaking lengths to describe each experience in excruciating detail. He seems like quite the connoisseur xP
One of the more interesting ones:
When describing an insect ranked 4.0: "...immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream. Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations."
As a Bio student, and one having to come up with those sickening SPA Planning answers at that, I can't help but wonder: Did he bother with the repeats and replicates? To check for reproducibility of results, y'know.

No comments:
Post a Comment