Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Happy Birthday Singapore =)

I'll always love you, imperfections and all.

Heh, sometimes I wonder what love is, and isn't that the most simple answer? A connection shared, between you and me, of memories past, a future faced together; fates inextricably intertwined. Not begrudging of what flaws may be present, yet at the same time not accepting things as they are, challenging each other to challenge the status quo, to surpass current limitations and advance through mutual effort. It doesn't have to be rational - so many things in this world aren't anyway - it just is.

I didn't write about this earlier, but attending that NDP preview really helped me reaffirm my love for this country, which I think is a really important thing. I guess that deep down, as we go about our daily lives, we all know that for some reason or other, we all (most of us, at least) love Singapore, yet this love does tend to get drowned out by those everyday happenings - those small and not-so-small incidents that have been cause for concern - as well as a preoccupation with our individual lives. So cliched or lame as it may be, the NDP and on a larger scale, the celebration of National Day in my opinion, serves as a good reminder of the various things we love about this small island nation, and does a good job of unifying the people to tackle the challenges ahead, especially after recent potentially divisive/highly polarising events (read: the General Elections). So good call, PAP, and former MM Lee XD (cause I realized after a little googling that apparently the "emeritus" title is only applied to SM Goh? correct me if I'm wrong..)

No comments:

Post a Comment