The cacophony of sms alerts as we were watching Inception heralded the start of 2011, putting an end to an exceedingly enjoyable New Year's Eve, and IMO, a good year overall.
Kang Yong's birthday happens to be on the last day of the year, so yesterday we had this nice gathering of extended family members to celebrate his birthday as well as the passing of the year. As always, I find the kind of warmth you feel at these events really invigorating. The company is really enjoyable.
Strangely, I don't have a single thought in mind about new year resolutions or anything of that sort. They've proven to be pretty irresolute in years past. However, the general mood to do things better, to be more enthusiastic, more persistent, to not make the mistakes I did last year has caught me up, and I'll ride it for all it's worth.
For the obligatory past year reflections; well I guess I seem to have made more mistakes last year than I have in previous ones. I've passed up on some brilliant opportunities, possibly due to unwillingness to even consider them, or perhaps a fear to try them out. I've been involved in more than a few mess-ups, and responded in even more foolish ways.
In shooting, I put so much effort into last years nationals till my legs felt weak and I actually staggered as I stepped away from the lane after putting up a dismal performance. I toughed it out and even now, I can feel the burning desire I felt at the prize-giving ceremony then; to do better, to put in even more, to not let my teammates down.
In exco elections, I tackled it wrongly, methinks, was overly anxious, messed up, and the feeling of walking up and down, up and down, won't be forgotten.
I tried new things, which worked out, learnt lessons, which I'll apply, and really, I think I've matured throughout the year.
I remember Mr Koh once mentioning that in adolescence, our values, ideals, way of thinking, personality, even aren't solidified; nor set in stone. As we grow older, our experiences start to define us, our identity. And well, from my personal experience, I find that to be really true. I used to sink into depression, thinking "who am I, what defines me" and other things in a similar vein of thought. But now, I find a certain foundation of being within myself, which I am rooted in. My core values, so to speak. And I rest solidly on them, comfortably. Well, if something happens to shake this foundation to the core, who knows what I'll find after the dust settles~
What I've found after the shakings of the past year don't displease me one single bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment