Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Knowing is just the beginning

They say that knowing is half the battle won; and I used to think the same way as well. Yet I think that as I've "matured" (yeah, in "" cause it's never a given) I've come to realize that things are rarely so easy. At this point of life, I think I'm pretty familiar with my more serious failings, but correcting them are a completely different thing altogether.

On a related note, I've recently been clued on to how I've come to "inherit" some of my parents' let's say not-so-desirable traits. My dad's tendency to lapse into episodes of talking at people rather than to them, my mum's occasional bouts of moodiness due to a moment's insight into mistakes she's made, yet being too resigned to correct them, etc. It feels strange to dissect the failings of such key figures in my life, yet I've found myself doing exactly that on more than one occasion, and thinking to myself that I wouldn't be the same way when I "grew up". It was quite shocking, really, to suddenly see them manifest in myself as well. What to do? I realize that everyone has their own failings, but knowing that such things are present within myself, I can't be satisfied doing nothing about them. A more conscious effort of restraint on my part is all I can do, I guess. Another part of me wonders, though if maybe these failings simply constitute a part of my personality, and whether maybe I shouldn't be trying to rid myself of them afterall. I really don't know.

I honestly didn't plan for the above paragraph to end with that particular sentence, yet it did. So if I don't know, how am I to begin? X.x

No comments:

Post a Comment