Monday, April 16, 2012

I've decided to forgo the mandatory last game of DoTA for a post instead. So maybe I've got my priorities right, for once. I've pretty much been spending the day packing my stuff to go back to camp; admittedly at a very leisurely pace, but still something productive nonetheless. I've also finally gotten round to attempting to resolve the mess which is my room. What I haven't managed to do is decide what to do with all my old stuff. Past years' notes, random little knick knacks (such as the Titanic brochure ><), a whole assortment of stuff that a person inevitably picks up as he progresses through life. Some of them mean practically nothing to me, and those I've tossed already. But the rest are really headache-inducing. There're all those random pieces of paper I never got around to filing, disorganized as I am, which however seem too much of a waste to throw offhand; as I realized while flipping through them. Memories, and lots of value - not merely nostalgic - in them too. So what to do? My uncle (now my neighbour) confided in me once, of having to "close one eye, then close the other one" in deciding what to get rid of when shifting to his present house. He realized that humans actually need very few things to get by. That's something I agree with, to be honest, yet I can't help myself uselessly clinging onto these pieces of paper, out of some misplaced sentiment or I don't know what, knowing that I'll probably never touch them for the rest of my life. I'm currently storing them in my fortunately amply spacious cupboard, putting off the decision till later.

But now for more current matters. I'm feeling rather expectant about SCS. Don't get me wrong, the past week or so of block leave has been heavenly. Civilian life is awesome, and it's a reminder of what we sacrifice by serving NS. Got to meet up with friends, catch up, play, chill. The feeling of having the luxury of being able to sit around and do nothing, sweet, blessed nothing, extended stretches of nothing; if I wanted to, of course, is very liberating. I actually spent Friday and Saturday morning reading the papers, practically cover to cover, reveling in the fact that I had the time to do so, and also hungry for well..news haha. Basically, having the freedom to do what I wanted to do has been a very relaxing and enjoyable experience, and somehow, the past week seems to have lasted even longer than the last few weeks on Tekong, which is saying quite abit. However, I'm looking forward to what SCS has to offer in terms of fresh experiences, and I have to admit that the past week of freedom has left me feeling soft once more, so I probably need it as a wakeup call as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment