Well first off, my apologies to readers who've been absolutely dying to know what's going on in the life of this (relatively) insignificant individual over here; I've been lax in my 'duties'. Semi-sarcastic apologies aside, it's been really long since I last dedicated myself towards a post like this, and with the 2015 already almost a week old, I thought that it's prime time to do so. Moving on...
Unlike previous years past, I haven't really found myself taking the time to look back and reflect on the past year, and whilst in the shower a few moments ago, it was with some not-entirely-mock-horror that I realized that I can only begin to pick out and identify key events with some difficulty. Even worse is that with the drought of posts in the year 2014, I find myself bereft of the safety net of simply taking a trip back in time to peruse my archives of events past.
^ Point 1
Point 2:
Now to make a quick reference to an article I came across pretty recently (on FB, because it seems like it's been my only source of relatively quality thought-provoking articles for a while now, which I guess is a damning indictment of the levels to which I have stooped): Why Each Year Seems to Disappear More Quickly Than the Last
Based upon the pretty interesting premise/observation of time seeming to pass more quickly as we age, what struck me more in the article was more to do with how we perceive experiences:
Firstly, that experiences tend to be more intense the first time we encounter them, with the intensity diminishing with a 'Habituation hypothesis' and perhaps more significantly, the later segment about how we can slow down time, which IMO can pretty much be translated to 'How can we better enjoy and experience life'. Listed strategies include Looking for the beauty in things, Limiting multitasking, Enjoying the present moment and Seeking out new experiences. Now, this is very much not a one-size fits all approach; not all of us may possess the wherewithal to Seek Out New Experiences (SONE from now on, acronyms are Sooooo fun) nor may it be feasible to do so, but the rest do seem pretty doable for the everyman.
How does this fit in?
Well I think one of the last few times I posted, I mentioned something about trying to live in the moment more and being in some ways a little less distant/reflective. Now, I'm not saying that typing that has influenced the way I've been doing things since, but I've definitely noticed that in the way I've been approaching and thinking about things in the past months. I'm not going to say whether that's been good or bad, because I've definitely enjoyed myself, but it's just that I'm beginning to swing back the other way in that I now (once again) see the importance of thinking back (or rather more superficially, taking the time to collect my thoughts and put them down somewhere, blogging, for example) and trying to at least get an impression of or to capture the moment so to speak, as it lends a greater (for lack of a better word) rigor towards experiencing the moment, in not just letting yourself be swept along in the flow of time but in doing all you can to absorb and take it all in as you go along, that's the way I'm starting to see it. So in this new year, I suppose one of my largest resolutions, if you wanna call it that, would be to not just live out these moments in my life but to live in them, and perhaps take some time at the end of the day/week to tell myself, THIS is something significant (to me) that I did today, and hopefully this will give me a better grip on reality and more snippets to tether me along in this flow of time.
So I'll start off:
The last couple of days of the two week hols were pretty much spent working - Working on studying the anatomy of the components of the head involved in mastication, taste and so on. It wasn't exactly the toughest thing I've worked at in LKC so far, but I somehow felt more satisfied than usual with the amount of effort I put into trying to understand it, and in being less dismissive of things than I had been in previous anatomy sessions. I was thus pretty pleased during the practical session where I was able to follow most of the material covered. It's a pretty stupid thing to be pleased about; I know that my preparatory work for this session was probably for others the amount of effort they've been putting in all along but at least to me it shows me a way forwards and if I'm able to carry on in this vein I'll give myself a pass.
Not quite a review of 2014 or rather not really a review, but for some reason I'm not quite inclined to look backwards right now so this will have to do.
Till next time, ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment