A little late for reflections, but here they are:
2012 was a crazy year, the first out of school after so long, but no less uneventful, and no less educational.
NS was of course the highlight of the year, and it was honestly a very eye-opening experience, where I lost much of my naivete. Of course I always knew that people thought differently, worked differently etc but unlike prior experience where it was always possible to find some common ground; a shared motivation for that A (or maybe RI peeps just aren't so diverse after all) there was none. And I realized how tough it can be to work against such inertia, as well as how tempting it is to get sucked up in it as well. It really can be quite frustrating. I ran into a pretty interesting type of personality too. While in BMT and SCS I got very familiar with the kind of person who's perfectly contented to sit back and let you do all the dirty work, secure in the knowledge that none of it mattered to them the slightest bit, there's a special kind of person who's unwilling to let that happen. For some reason or another, it makes them feel insecure to see you putting in so much effort - maybe they think it makes them look bad or something, I wouldn't know - and yet they aren't willing to compete by raising the bar. So they seek to neutralize you, pull you down with them, in many subtle ways, by being discouraging, disparaging, diminishing and trying to neuter your capability. It's good I guess, to know that such people exist, and see them for what they are. They aren't bad people by any means, which is why it's so hard to deal with them sometimes, and it's caused me to lose my cool on a couple of occasions.
It may sound like I've gone paranoid, and in some way I suppose I have. I'm much less inclined to give people the benefit of doubt nowadays, I'm less patient and much more likely to get frustrated too, though I may not always show it. I've changed, in so many ways that a complete catalog of them is not only impossible, but also futile, as I find that I still am.
The first few months of NS were a whirlwind of activity, so many new faces popping up here and there, and having met so many people within such a relatively short period of time, I'm really treasuring my friends, both those that I had, and those friendships newly forged. It's not an easy thing, and sometimes it's completely incidental. Some people you may spend months with yet may be unable to hit it off with, and others you gel with in weeks. I'm glad to say I made friends who I honestly and truly love, friends who I can freely share my thoughts with. I'll forever miss those carefree nights in bunk, just sitting round HTHT-ing. It's quite disheartening then, to see how we've fallen apart having gone our separate ways after SCS, and there never seems to be the time to catch up, and I can't help but feel that even if we do, things will never be the same. I feel immensely fortunate to have held onto some friends amidst all this change, Jack Amos Angie Merv, I can't say how happy I am that we still go out ever so often, and how thankful I am that you're around to make fun of me when I take myself too seriously. Sometimes when we're together I find myself quiet at moments, wondering how long it can last, but that's hardly the correct mindset to have in awesome company, so I try to banish it quickly. I'm of course incredibly thankful to my family for all the support and understanding they've given me, and for above all, giving me somewhere to come back to, after a possibly shitty week in camp. Every week, without fail, my mum and dad brave an hour long round trip to send me to camp, it's a huge pain but they don't say anything about it. Sometimes I take it way too fore-granted and it needs reminding.
Mention must be made of how I screwed up some relationships by being overeager, and others by being overly cold. Some things once done can't be taken back, no matter how much you regret them; there's only so much spilled milk you can lap up, and it'll taste foul no matter what you do, so I can only move on from here and behave more maturely. NYJSIUTK
A year on from the As, I find it striking how little my results actually matter to me. I know it's unfair to say so especially given how I did, but that's simply how it seems. Of course I was elated when I got them, but following my rejection by NUS I seem to have lost all sense of direction in that regard. I know that there's something beyond NS, however with my eyes laid upon the weeks stretching before me, I can't quite see past them with any great certainty. But it's always easier to dawdle and dither at the same spot without taking action, so this year I'll be more proactive, make myself more involved and see where that brings me.
No comments:
Post a Comment