Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Recess Week

Metaphor tires me, after such a long time out, so I'll keep this simple.

Haven't been doing much during recess week, a complete reversion to type after the intensity of school. And without really noticing it, 10 weeks have passed. All the random hall and school activities aside, talking strictly about acads itself, I find, to my not-so-complete-but-still surprise that I really enjoy learning. Not the studying and mugging per se, cause the feeling of staying up till ungodly hours every Monday and Thursday to catch up on the next TBL, frantically transcribing the lectures really sucks, but rather the stimulation of learning, of new input. Getting new pieces of the puzzle to put together and assemble, and retaining it in its entirety in my head, even if only for an instant, is a super amazing feeling. And yeah, we may complain about some aspects of the admittedly new format of learning, sometimes at length, but there's no overlooking the fact that at the end of the day I feel EXTREMELY lucky and privileged to be here.

So, what's going on now? I signed up to help out in the planning of next year's hall FOC, something I didn't really need to do because I don't need the hall points, and I'm not sure whether I'll come to regret that decision, but I really wanted to be involved with hall activities to a greater extent, and since I'm not on any of the subcomms and OG activities seem to be dwindling, I thought it'd be a good chance to mix around a little with some non-med people (though we're a fairly decent bunch, I must admit) and well..get something more out of hall than simply a place to rest my head at night, and a room to spend my days mugging away. Seriously, it can get to you after awhile. I'm trying to pick up darts as well, it's a fun and easy alternative to shooting as a means of relaxing and focusing on something else, though it remains to be seen whether I can get to be any good at it, took over an hour to complete the 2 out of 3 hits on 1 to 20, in sequence drill on Monday, my first time really attempting it though, so I'll consider that an achievement for now. As for shooting, I'll start to train in the coming weeks, with the "trial" at the end of the month in mind, and see how things go from there. For penspinning, I'd like to put out my first (and possibly last) solo but don't quite have the appropriate repertoire of tricks and linkages to make anything meaningful urgh, I'll just leave that as a KIV for now. And yeah, I'm finally going to embark on the long road to a driving license. Just need to settle on a centre...my indecisiveness is going to be my downfall haix.

A few things to keep the studying from getting stale, though I really have to manage my time a lot better if I don't want to fall behind on my commitments. Discipline!

I never really posted about it, cause I guess I wrote down all I had to say already, so if you do see this: Hope you're having a great time over there Jack! Though we may joke that it doesn't really seem like you're gone, you're really never too far from our thoughts :)

A period of change, of growth, of finding out more about ourselves and getting comfortable in our own skins, while still testing ourselves and out limits, of deciding what we're more-or-less okay with, and what we won't stand for, a period that may come to define our lives. It's simultaneously amazing and scary, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment