Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Use it or lose it (Happy Birthday to Me ><)

So. 22. Not quite the magic number of 21 but still the second palindrome of my life.

It's quite a pity (personally, at least) that I haven't been more diligent in marking down the milestones of sorts for the past year or so, borne idk out of some strange apathy.

It'd probably be an interesting exercise to take a look back through these archives for a peek into the head of my teen-aged self, and to have a think about what's happened since then. We learned, in our pseudo-psyche lessons (and I hope Jack'd be able to corroborate with a much more well articulated and qualified opinion) that the human brain undergoes profound changes as it matures (and ages); for instance in the way it processes and responds to information. I'll just leave a note here about the whole Fluid intelligence vs. Crystalline intelligence, and changes in aging for future research, or in case someone's interested. And I must say that as someone transiting from the arrogance and impetuousness of youth, I find even the thought of these changes decidedly unpleasant. So much for graceful aging :P

Even more disconcerting is the fact that should I turn the lens inwards, I begin to see evidence of these in my thoughts and actions, a narrowing of my world view, a more strongly polarized moral compass, as well as a decreased impetus to change (typified perhaps by this marked inability to drop this habitual abuse of the blasted rule of three) - I kid. But anyways, it's just something I have to remind myself to keep an eye on, and perhaps use as additional resolve (as if any were needed) - that if things are hard to change now, they'll be even harder to change in the future, so I'd better change anything that I find unappealing, lest I lapse into compromise mode; which I'd really rather not get into.

All in all, not my most well put together post, but I'll have to end it now, a full day of clinicals awaits, and that, I'll leave for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment